The Leadership Development Workshop is designed to provide a holistic perspective on leadership concepts and practices particularly for individuals with scientific and healthcare backgrounds. The key topics that are going to be covered in this interactive workshop consist of the following: Self-knowledge and self-awareness; How to set a personal vision and strategy; How to develop a realistic and effective personal development plan; Leadership styles and competencies; Role of mentorship in leadership development; Rational-emotional model of decision making and its application on innovative thinking; Networking with a purpose.
PART 1 – Vision, Path and Leadership Styles
- Introduction and workshop overview
- Self-Knowledge and Personal Vision for Future Leaders
- Self-reflective activity: Drawing a personal vision
- Leadership development curriculum and personal development path
- Discussion: Constructs of a personal leadership development plan
- Six leadership styles and its application in academic and healthcare settings
PART 2 – Mentorship, Decision-Making and Networking
- The value of having mentors
- Self-reflective activity: Who is my ideal mentor?
- Rational-Emotional Model of Decision Making
- Bayesian Decision theory
- Robert Plutchik’s Psychoevolutionary Theory of Basic Emotions
- Comfort zone, calculated risk taking and innovation
- Self-reflective activity: What’s my emotional state for making a decision?
- Group activity: Networking with a purpose (collaboration, influence, self-interest)